Saturday, May 4, 2013

The fourth condition of quitting smoking: Cranial Paralogism

This is a portrait of my anti-quitting Shadow Mind.


















As the physical characteristics of the addiction began 
to diminish, and I felt like I might have conquered this 
demon, the most insidious condition waits in the wings 
for my resolve to falter. I call it Cranial Paralogism.

My mind builds a case for quitting being a non-smoker
by reversing the negative viewpoint into the positive in 
order to justify abandoning the effort. Logic does a 180.
All the lies about smoking return from time to time to 
convince me that "I can go back any time; because I 
can quit any time I want to....?" This mental state 
marched me right into gas stations to buy a pack a 
dozen times after I had become an "unsmoker."

This is the most powerful withdrawal disorder. I'm 
guessing it lasts a lifetime, is entirely mental, and 
is the core of what addiction is about. Any addiction- 
not just tobacco.

Should Cranial Paralogism try to change your mind, 
breathe like you're trying to take in all of the fresh air 
of the world. Ten breaths. Then ten more. Do this until 
you have flushed the mental state from your head.

Beating this condition almost always leaves me dizzy.




















2 comments:

  1. I could power through physical conditions of withdrawal, but when the mental part starts kicking in, I tend to succumb and get a smoke. Sometimes I hold on by tricking my mind into thinking I’m about to smoke, like having a lollipop or biting on a pen. I know the last one doesn’t really make sense, but somehow it helps. Maybe my oral fixation got linked to my nicotine one, and somehow the act of putting something in my mouth is making my head think it’s about to get a dose of nicotine. Whatever helps, I guess...

    Elene Meyers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elene, I also recommend carrots (if you like them) as substitutes since they're a healthy alternative. Carotene is much better than nicotine. Deep breaths and counting to ten sometimes disables or minimizes the urge. Smell roses instead of lighting up.
    Quitting is a gift to your nose...keep breathing fresh air. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete