Monday, May 6, 2013

The "Inconvenience" of smoking...a story....


Ann Arbor 1979

Sometimes the simple act of buying cigarettes 
doesn’t go as planned.  I lived a block from a 
Stop n Go convenience store while I went to 
school in Ann Arbor. Near the corner of Packard 
and Stadium, it wasn’t far from Michigan Stadium 
and it was the beginning of the outskirts of town. 
A smoker then, it was where I picked up my 
cigarettes. Pack a day.

This was part of the 
ritual with Rennie 
the Labrador, who 
followed me 
everywhere
I was never able 
to teach him to run 
this errand on his own; 
he never brought back 
the change. Sometimes 
he'd wait, or he'd take 
off- home or elsewhere.

Saturday night. 
Out of smokes.  A moment later we were at 
the store.  The dog spun around and left when 
I went in.  As I said hi to the clerk, a commotion 
erupted near the back  beer cooler. Some guy was 
rolling around on the floor when shots rang out 
from outside. The clerk yelled, “38!” hit the lock 
on the door and dove behind the counter.

I was hiding from a gunman behind a wall of 
chocolate. Was the last thing that I would ever see 
be a Snickers bar? We  breathed once we saw red 
and blue lights roll towards the store. When the 
officers got to the door, the clerk tossed me the keys. 
As I opened it, they grabbed me, shoving me up 
against the counter, hands behind my back.

“Wait!!! He’s not the guy! In the back! Shots i
the parking lot.”

Cops let go, kind of dusting me off as they went. 
They got the guy, things settled down, and all 
was sort of clear.  Buying a pack would never 
be the same. Convenience stores can be 
hazardous to your health.

You’ve just been shot at by the bad 
guys and roughed up by the cops! 
Welcome to Marlboro Country!

As I walked back, I remembered what Sir
Winston Churchill said about his experience 
in WWI-

Nothing is quite so exhilarating as to be shot at 
to no effect. 

The dog was waiting on the porch.









No comments:

Post a Comment