Wednesday, June 5, 2013

It's all in your head...and your lungs

Of all of humanity's addictions, smoking seems 
to be the most difficult habit to break. Thousands 
of ways to quit are offered, but so many of them are
ineffective to 90% of the population who smokes. 
That is because quitting smoking is a mostly cerebral 
endeavor; and the initial experiences of giving up 
tobacco are completely physical; and most of the 
cessation practices rely upon the product or method
as the weapon to defeat the addiction. The only real 
thing that will beat cigarettes is your own mind. 
The only way I was able to defeat the habit was by 
convincing myself I could no longer do it. Ever again.

Ever again.

I got that I was rapidly running out of respiratory
capability and was down to the last few days of 
unassisted breathing.  I worried that maybe I was 
too late. It certainly felt as though it was. This moment 
is a turning point in every smoker's life.  What helped 
me (sadly) was that I had watched far too many people 
ignore it on their way out the door. If a person really 
wants to live, they will quit. Honestly...not gum, not 
the Patch, not an e cigarette, or a "miracle drug" will 
really work. One has to overcome the habit in their 
mind. Let your mind convince you body what a good 
idea this is. Your body will get it soon enough.

As my friend River said, "it comes down to breath."
Breath is life. Quitting is the key to keep breathing.

If you're a smoker, the next time you are going to 
have a cigarette, please breathe ten incredibly deep 
breaths before you light up. Then take ten more.
Then decide whether you really want to smoke.
You might be on your way...

No comments:

Post a Comment