Sunday, May 5, 2013

Concerning negative graphic advertising as the only way to smoke free...redux...

Recent ads created for the anti-smoking campaign 
feature people with terminal health issues caused 
by their addiction to nicotine and cigarettes. This 
strategy embraces fear as the only tactic to affect 
change. This was tried in the 80s when the actor 
Yul Brunner made the PSA about his lung cancer. 
Scare tactics don’t have long-term impact. 
Intimidating people with visions of carcinogenic 
horror only works short term. People block images 
they don't want to remember. Who decided that 
fear works?

Why is there no focus on the positive aspects of 
being smoke free? Why hasn't this approach 
been tried? Why, when people get free from this 
addiction and come through it in a healthier state, 
is this NOT news? Why is the promo ONLY about 
cancer, strokes and heart attacks and the 
"it's too late for me" syndrome... these ads show 
only grey smoke, never blue skies...

I stopped three years ago after a three decade 
habit, and regained most of my lung capacity, 
my sense of smell, and have saved $9,000. 
My friends say I look healthier, smell better and 
stopped the constant coughing. Their unwaver-
ing encouragement is what worked for me. 
Anti-smoking advertising should focus at least 
some of their campaign on the personal success 
of those who get smoke free. This alternative 
approach would certainly be a breath of fresh air.

It's time that good kicked the ass of the bad 
and the ugly...

I believe this now more than ever. Do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment