Friday, June 5, 2015

The number 5 makes me nervous....

There are some days that a person 
never forgets because of the impact 
that day has on them. June 5 is one 
such day for me. I cannot help but 
remember its significance because 
it was life changing in 1972. It had 
to do with the number 5. 

I was living in L.A. when I received 
a call from my mother telling me 
that my father had been diagnosed
with lung cancer, and (ironically)
maybe worse. It was. I learned of
his illness on this day 43 years ago;
I immediately flew home to Michigan.
On July 5, he went into the hospital; 
he died there on August 5. He was
born December 5, 2015.  He was 
diagnosed with cancer of the lung, 
liver, pancreas, brain and kidney.
Think it started out as skin cancer.
Can't say as I'm a big fan of Five.

I remember the call and the day.
Like an assassination. He was
dying and there was nothing to 
be done. June 5 will always have 
an air of doom to it.  Even on a 
bright sunshiny day, it's a memory 
I wish I could forget. 

The good news is, it's almost been 
5 years since I quit. Five is good.
At least now it is....

No comments:

Post a Comment